DOB: 07/10/1971 Profession: British Powerlifting powerlifter & coach
I’ve always had an interest in health and fitness throughout my career and as an Army Physical Training Instructor I always pushed myself. It wasn’t until later on in my career that I became interested in powerlifting and I’m relatively new to the sport, having only started in 2015. I’m quite meticulous and precise in my nature and that’s what I love about lifting – the exactness and precision required in everything from lifting technique to my diet and lifestyle.
I’ve competed for a victorious Army Team on 3 occasions at the Inter Service competitions and in 2017 I was extremely humbled to be nominated by the Army Powerlifting Union as their Sports Personality of the year. The experience was truly amazing, as the event is full of some tremendous athletes from all different sporting backgrounds and to be in the company of individuals who compete at a world class level was unforgettable.
As well as lifting for the Army, I have been fortunate to have taken part in British Powerliftings National Championships, which resulted in selection for the GBR Team at the IPF World Championships in June 2017 and at the EPF European Championships in March 2018. Since posting to 253 (North Irish) Med Regt in Apr 2017 I have been selected for the Northern Ireland Team at both the Four Nations and the Commonwealth Powerlifting Games, most recently I’ve been selected to compete in Calgary, Canada in June 2018 with the GBR Team for my second trip to the IPF World Championships.
I am also a KBT Level 2 Powerlifting Coach.
None of this would have been possible without the support of the British Army and my coach Aaron Hull whose knowledge and enthusiasm for the sport never fails to amaze me.
I lift in the Masters 1 -66kg body weight class and below are some of my key achievements:
- BDFPA Bench Press & Deadlift Record Holder (67.5kg cat)
- WDFPF World & European Record Holder (67.5kg cat)
- Various Yorkshire & North East and Northern Ireland Powerlifting Federation Records
- British Powerlifting Champion March 2017
- International Powerlifting Federation World Classic Championships June 2017
- Silver medal deadlift
- Bronze medal overall
- British Powerlifting Champion Dec 2017
- March 2018 inaugural European Powerlifting Federation Classic Powerlifting Championships
- Squat 172.5kg PB
- Bench 125kg PB Bronze Medal
- Deadlift 230KG Silver Medal
- Total 527.5kg PB Bronze Medal overall
ADV products used:
Cyclone Cup 22oz Black
Instagram: @greig.murray1 Twitter: @greig.murray1